Sunday, March 8, 2015

To Downward Dog


My dog thinks I'm doing it wrong
High plank.

Drop into low plank; push up into cobra. Hold.

Up and back into downward dog. Breathe.

I feel my hands pushing into the floor. She says to pull my shoulders away from my ears. Lengthen the spine. The blood rushes to my head; I’m rethinking the day and then not thinking. Just holding the pose.

Years of running and not stretching have made for tight calves and hamstrings. I breathe into them. Slowly, the muscles releases and my heels get closer to the floor. Release again. Deeper into the pose.

Getting there is one thing. Staying is another. Breathing calmly in it, yet another still.

Arms are strong. Wrists are strong. The hardest weight to bear is what I carry in my own back, on my shoulders. I push into the floor with each on my fingers, each one of my toes.

I smooth myself out. My back, my breath, my thoughts become one thing. Hold the pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment