Thursday, November 19, 2015

To the Letters My Neighborhood Mailbox Has Held (or, A Letter of Excerpts of Letters)


June 5th, 1956

Dear Hazel,

I have not forgotten about Julia’s birthday! I am making a scarf and then the baby got sick, but it will arrive shortly and I will make sure she knows all is well.

Sam did not get accepted to Ohio State and so he has decided to enlist in the Army, only Sarah doesn’t think they will let him in because of his feet. We would all like him to help with Tim’s business, but it’s hard to tell him anything. He’s a good kid, but ever since the accident, he’s been hard on his mom. Have you spoken to her? What does she say? She won’t tell me anything.

Coolcaesar at the English language Wikipedia [
GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)
or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)]
, via Wikimedia Commons
I’m planting beans late this year! Wish me luck!

Love,

Carole

September 27, 1965

Dear Ronald,

I hope all is well and calmer these days. I hear little on the news about what’s happening out there and wonder if the year will end peacefully, especially for you. Johnson says he says they will end the “war” soon, but Charles doesn’t believe him. Charles says he a communist, but I think he’s doing the right thing.

Anyway, we were hoping to travel to California for Christmas, but we won’t be able to make it this year. Sales have been low and December is the busiest time, so we will stay here and see if we can make up for the summer losses. Maybe we can some for Easter, but of course, you’re always welcome in Akron (ha ha!).

Have you read Hotel yet? If not, let me know and I will send it to you. I’ve read it twice now and know you would love it.You must before we visit again.

No change in things in Dayton. Do not call Linda anymore. She won’t talk about it and has decided it’s for the best. I can’t imagine what I would do and just hope it all work out.

Noona says hi.

LC

****************

March 13, 1985

Mr. and Mrs. Swinton,

Please find the enclosed documentation regarding the death of Angie Swinton. Please accept our condolences.

After reviewing the enclosed files, we have decided that Miss Swinton’s death would be ruled an accident. All known measures were taken and all procedures followed. As you must realize, cases such as this are both difficult and rare. We realize this is little consolation at this time of grief, and we assure you we have done our due diligence with this case.

If you wish to speak directly with someone from our staff, feel free to call (916) 387-6272 and ask for Mr. Weiss in our legal department.

Our staff send our deepest condolences.

Sincerely,

Marvin Pough
Chief of Surgery

****************

July 12, 2009

Grandma,

I’ve been meaning to write but work is so busy. I think I may get promoted soon, but I don’t know yet. I’ve been working overtime so that’s a good sign. I just hope I don’t have to change stores!

Things are good. James and I have changed our plans for getting married. We still love each other, so….

No comments:

Post a Comment