Sunday, December 20, 2015

To Bumper Stickers

I follow the blue Toyota Corolla an extra block just to try to read all the bumper stickers. Clearly, the driver, or at least the person who added all the stickers, is very liberal.
source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Madisonian-bumperstickers.jpg
“Coexist” “I’ll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.” “Obama ‘08” “Obama ‘12” “Bernie Sanders” “Legalize it” “Feminism: The radical notion that women are people.” And something about dogs, but it turns the corner before I can finish reading.
Most often, though, it’s a single sticker, carefully chosen for the statement it makes. “An armed society is a polite society.” “My other car is a broomstick.” “My kid and my money go to Ohio State.”

The Jesus fish. The Jesus fish with legs and “Darwin” in the middle. For a while, in the 90’s, the rainbow Apple logo. Tim Cook wasn’t even with the company yet. 


Visualize World Peace. Visualize Whirled Peas.

I feel a kinship with the distance stickers: 13.1. 13.1 (in pink). I have a 26.2 I’ve been meaning to put on my car, but still don’t feel like I’ve earned it.The numbers look so clean and precise, black against the white. Contained. Clear.

The irony would be lost on the other drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment