Monday, October 19, 2015

To Halloween Costumes

When I was 8, I combed my hair back into a pseudo-pompadour, put on a jean jacket and went as Fonzie for Halloween. Not for a second did I think I couldn’t or shouldn’t because I was a girl. Or because I was a nerd and the furthest thing from cool. I loved The Fonz and Halloween means you can be anything.
 
Our neighborhood gets a flood of trick-or-treaters every year and the homemade costumes are the best. Buffy the Vampire Slayer in a home-bedazzled leather jacket.  A gangster. A pirate with a cowboy neckerchief. A favorite Green Bay Packer. A rainbow unicorn. One kid is That Girl and she’s walking with a ghoul bride. They are crushing on each other. They trade M&M’s for Milky Way's.
 We all have a freak flag. And it changes every year. I’m Bob the Builder. I’m a sheep. I’m a robot. I’m a princess of a 1,000 fairies. I’m Joan Jett.  I’m a bottle of milk and my baby sister is an Oreo. I’m a spy. I’m a creeper. 
 
Dress up and go grab what is yours. Get out early and bang on every door. Let them hear you coming from the next house over and bring your biggest, deepest pillowcase. For one night, you are free from gender, from species, from space and time, from logic and reason. And finally, for this, you will be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment