Wednesday, October 21, 2015

To Queen Elizabeth’s Corgis

How is the rabbit tonight, my loves? It’s fresh and the chef roasted it bone-in. The rice is from India and it smells faintly of flowers. The carrots come from the garden.
 
Via elizabethii.tumblr.com
Let’s walk. Let’s gather in the west yard because, although you are spry, your legs are too short for the wall. I will brush your coats in the early evening light. You’re golden. You’re patient. You’re spoiled.

But you are the end of the line. I am the end of the line. Of course, there’s Charles, for all he is worth, but that won’t last.  And then there’s Will.

They don’t love you the way I love you. Indeed, it seems that they love nothing in the same way I do. They do not love the rose garden. They don’t love lamb. And they surely do not love England. Not the way I do.

Not the way you do. We are England, loves, you and I. The children love their dogs, I’m sure. But they do not need them. And so, though I would love a puppy, the fresh grin of a new Corgi face, I cannot.

I will not live forever, but I must outlive you. My sons and grandchildren are fine people. But that is all they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment